Places we would like to see and the things we would take with us.
One of the many pleasures of having our shop in Ballard is the times we find an opportunity to interact with our community. We have great restaurants, shops and artists working in our little neighborhood and nearly all the local businesses are owned and operated independently (ok, so we do have a Starbuck’s). We love being acquainted with so many entrepreneurs in our business community. Here’s a great example: We were seeking a resource for a simple wristlet bag for our shop, not a collection but a single item we could stock in many colors. We didn’t have to look far, right around the corner is an artist collective, Fifty Four Sixteen. Inside there is a group of spaces occupied by creative people of many disciplines. One of these creatives is Michelle Pozniak who, among other things, develops “Miishka Handbags”. She makes mostly custom and bespoke bags made from new leather, calfskin, pony hair and repurposed leather garments.
Michelle’s talents go far beyond handbags, one visit to her studio and you’ll be in awe of the eclectic talents of this artist. Pysanka eggs, soaps and blown glass surround the workspace, all of these are created by Michelle. On the walls, creative installations of some ordinary objects, arranged in a way that reflects the artist and the connection to her materials. The vintage machinery (a sewing machine from long ago, a vacuum cleaner that could have been her grandmother’s) are reminders that today’s technology just isn’t necessary. Continue reading
Each Wednesday we’ll answer the on-going question: “What do I wear with these?” It’s a question we get quite often here at the shop and we love giving suggestions when helping our customers.
This week we feature the Beek “Robin” slide. A casual but chic alternative to the flip-flop. Wear these slides with a simple dress, culottes and a crop tank, or a crisp white shirt and patterned shorts. Complete your look with a clutch bag and a statement necklace. You will look put together and polished, yet remain cool in the heat of the summer months ahead.
Father’s Day is coming up and we have some really great gift suggestions for the stylish dad! Here are 10 ideas to make dad feel appreciated this Father’s Day.
Clockwise starting from the top left:
1. Shave Kit – For the dad that travels, let him know you think he’s good looking every time he opens his shave kit with Owen and Fred’s ” Hey Handsome” message.
2. Shoe Care Products – Help him take care of his leather shoes with great smelling all natural shoe care from Otter Wax.
3. Let Me See Sunglasses by See-Concepts are the perfect frames for 100% UV protection.
4. Officine Creative Loafers – A pure classic that will up the cool factor in his wardrobe.
5. Notebooks and Pencils by Owen and Fred are just what the analog dad needs.
6. Money Clips – For the dad who loves minimalism.
7. Wallets – We have a variety of types and styles to choose from J Fold, Owen and Fred and Il Bussetto.
8. Passport Case – Sleek case by Bellroy for the dad who travels internationally.
9. Wristwatch by Alessi – Because stylish accessories are well, timeless.
10. Stance Socks – For the hip dad who refuses to wear white gym socks.
Could be the the typical grey drippy morning we started with today that inspired this post. But all of a sudden these past few weeks, I have really been into the color pink! It doesn’t matter which shade really, (except for Barbie pink that is) blush, petal, fuschia, magenta or even neon. Since I typically favor orange, this is a new obsession for me. You should see my sketchbook. And of course, pink peonies are my favorite flowers.
Hope you have a great week! xoxo ~ Maggie
Credits and Links:
Pampa Rugs/Banana image – Sonja Iekovic/Abstract – Robert Motherwell/ Pink Peony – Maggie Burns/
Paint swatches (unknown) – Pinterest/Pink sky – Style Devil/ Pink Wallet – Il Bussetto / Readers ~ See-Concepts